American Express Serve Card
What is American Express Serve®?
American Express Serve is a reloadable prepaid account that can provide a great way for you to get access to your eligible IRS refunds. It offers Free ATM withdrawals at over 24,000 ATMs nationwide, Free direct deposit, and free online bill pay. There is no credit check, no minimum balance.
My clients are married and joint filing. Can they both register for Serve?
Only the primary person listed on the tax return can register for serve through the software and have the refund direct deposited into their account.
How long will it take for my clients to get their IRS refunds onto their Serve Cards?
Tax refunds that are added onto a serve card take no longer than direct deposit to a traditional checking account. Your client should receive their serve card within 7-10 days of signing up, and once the tax refund is processed and available from the government it will be loaded onto the card.
Once my client is approved for Serve and selects Serve for their IRS refund, what happens next?
Your client will receive an email within a few minutes that prompts them to set up their online Account. There will be a unique link in the email that they can click on to set this up. Setting up the account is necessary to access features such as direct deposit, online bill pay and sub-accounts. They will also receive a welcome email with general information to introduce them to serve. Their personalized Serve Card will arrive in the mail 7-10 days after signing up and once the IRS refund is processed and available from the government it will be added onto the Card. Once activated, the card can be used immediately.
What are the benefits for my client?
$1 per Month — Serve is $1 a month and there is no fee for loading an IRS refund onto the account
Reloadable Prepaid Account — the account comes with a card that can be used in store and online virtually anywhere American Express® Cards are accepted. Add funds with free direct deposit, free cash reloads at over 27,500 locations, and free mobile check deposit. Additionally, our online features such as reserve and sub-accounts can help your clients maintain control of their spending year round.
Where is Serve accepted?
Serve is accepted virtually anywhere American Express® cards are accepted.
How can funds be added?
There are several convenient ways to add money to a serve account:
- Direct Deposit — an easy and free way to add all or part of a paycheck or government benefits check to the account.
- Free Cash Reload at the Register — Add cash for FREE across 27,500 CVS/pharmacy®, Family Dollar®, Walmart®, and participating 7 ELEVEN® Add as much as $500 or as little as $20. Account holders can simply give their American Express Serve® Card and cash to the cashier, and the money is immediately added into the Account. It’s that easy!
- Add Cash by purchasing a MoneyPak®, Vanilla® Reload or Reloadit™ wherever they’re sold. Third party fees apply.
- Checks — Checks can conveniently be added directly to an American Express Serve Account using the American Express® Serve Mobile App on an iPhone® or Android device (available for free from the App store or Google Play).
- Bank Transfers — Add money from any U.S. issued checking or savings account.
- Debit/Credit Card — Add money from a debit or credit card (cash advance fees may apply for credit card loads; check with your credit card issuer for details). Please note: gift cards cannot be used to add money.
Which ATMs can be used for withdrawals?
Serve Account holders may withdraw money from virtually any ATM that accepts American Express® Cards in the US or internationally. There are FREE ATM withdrawals at over 24,000 ATMs in the MoneyPass® ATM network in the US. Transactions at non-MoneyPass® ATMs have a $2.50 American Express Serve fee. ATM operator fees may also apply. See serve.com/atm for details. MoneyPass® ATM locations can be found at: http://moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx.
Can my client use the same Card again next year for their tax refund?
Yes! Serve is more than a Card, it’s an account which will remain open and active for your client even after tax season. It’s a great option for loading and spending money throughout the year, and can be used again next tax season. No need to issue a new Card each year.
Is there a fee for my clients to use Serve?
Serve has a $1 monthly fee and there is no fee for loading an IRS refund into the Account.
What are the transaction limits?
Once a personalized Serve Card is activated and the online account is set up, the following limits apply to the account, which includes any reserve and sub-accounts. Please note that, subject to applicable law, we reserve the right to set additional limits to individual Accounts or to modify limits at our discretion. Note that until activated, a personalized Serve Card will be limited to a direct deposit load of $10,000. If you anticipate a tax refund over more than $10,000 we recommend that you split the refund into multiple accounts using the IRS Form 8888.
Back to FAQs
9:00 am - 8:00 pm EST
10:00 pm-12:00 am EST
April 18th - Jan 14th
9:00 am -1:00 pm EST